Magalog Flashback: 5 Reasons to Try Cloth Diapering
What do you get when you combine a catalog with a magazine? Our magalog, Surprises, is your guide to the best of our baby gear selection and the top toys of the season. But there’s more: each issue of Surprises is loaded with informative articles about babies and kids, and common-sense advice that you can use.
Just in case you missed them, we’re reposting our magalog backlog here on the Spilling the Beans blog. And we’ve got a great new issue on the way, launching in November 2012. Go here and sign up to make sure you get yours!
5 Reasons to Try Cloth Diapering
By Sheri Gurock
1. They’re cheaper. Disposable diapers cost, on average, $2200 per child, from birth through potty-training. Cloth diapers are just $450 per child, and if you reuse them with subsequent children, the savings are even better.
2. They’re healthier. Lots of science has gone into making disposable diapers so absorbent. It’s no secret that this is accomplished with chemicals, some of which are known toxins. With cloth diapers, what you see is what you get.
3. They’re eco-friendly. Each child who exclusively uses disposable diapers will generate at least one ton of trash. Even biodegradable diapers don’t necessarily degrade in landfills, where they don’t get any sunlight.
4. They’re really nice. Cloth diapers have come a long way, baby. You won’t need to fuss with folding and safety pins if you don’t want to. Today’s designs use lush, soft materials and are designed to be leak-proof and easy to wash. They also look really cute, and come in fun colors and patterns.
5. They’re easier than you think. This is what we hear over and over again from moms who are doing it.
If you’re on the fence, why not purchase a few cloth diapers and give it a try? There’s no rule saying that you have to banish disposable diapers from your life. It’s fine to do a combination, if that’s what works best for you, and using cloth diapers some of the time will still reduce the environmental impact and save you money.
The post Magalog Flashback: 5 Reasons to Try Cloth Diapering appeared first on Spilling the Beans - Magic Beans.