10 things I love about breastfeeding
When I was pregnant with my first baby, someone asked me if I would breastfeed. “I guess so,” I replied. My mother, within earshot, shrilled “you guess so??” And this was how I learned that I actually come from a long line of breastfeeders. My mother breastfed all three of us, and even her mother breastfed her youngest child in the late 1950s, when no one was doing it. It was my duty to carry on the family tradition.
And so I did. Despite a rocky start, I took to it, and so did my babies. I feel very fortunate to have had such an easy time of it.
In celebration of World Breastfeeding Week, here are my 10 favorite things about breastfeeding.
10. I get to wear comfortable clothes all the time. I can’t honestly be expected to look awesome when I’m breastfeeding? I mean, if I want to, that’s another story, but most of the time I’m in yoga pants and nursing tanks. Because I’m breastfeeding. Same goes for high heels.
9. I can eat anything I want. Almost. Sometimes I even have ice cream. Because I’m breastfeeding. Which may be why I’m still trying to lose the last 10 pounds, but I swear when I eat ice cream, there’s a noticeable change in my milk supply. Really.
8. I take the money I’m saving on formula and spend it on other things. Like ice cream.
7. I am fast food, meals on wheels AND an all-night, all-you-can-eat buffet.
6. I get to sleep in a lot. Oh honey. I’m SO exhausted from all the milk I’m making. You get up with the baby, so my mammary glands can get some rest. It works.
5. I get to wear nursing necklaces instead of real jewelry. Because the baby broke all my good stuff.
4. I have time to read books. I got a Kindle for my birthday, and it turns out to be a nursing mother’s best friend.
3. I can kick your butt at a one-handed typing contest. For real.
2. I feel closer to all of my employees now that they’ve seen my boobs.
1. It might derail the productivity of my entire company every time the baby comes over to nurse. But it’s still the best part of my day.